B.A.M. (Books, Articles, Movies) Talk!
Where friends new and old come together for an enjoyable night of energetic conversation on a wide range of topics, including: Civil Rights, Social Justice, Anti-Racism, Grief, Spirituality.
- Climate Change and Activism October-November
- Overcoming Fear and Being Fearless – December
Whether you read/watch/listen to one or all the titles, you are welcome to join the lively discussion and there are no pop quizzes!
We meet monthly on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 7PM and have an in person as well as Zoom option available. Please contact us if you’re interested in being a part of this awesome group:
Pat Patterson (610-955-5146, Pattersonp50@gmail,com)
Randi Pizzico (267-761-2071, Randipizz@gmail.com)
We’re looking forward to some lively conversations in October and November. It will be interesting to see how the topics of climate change, poverty and racial justice are intertwined.
We picked two books:
- How to Avoid a Climate Disaster by Bill Gates
- A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety: How to Keep Your Cool on a Warming Planet by Sarah Jaquette Ray
The list below has several videos by / with the authors of the books. Take a look and decide if you’d like to read either or both books or just stick with the videos. Lots of great TED Talks, podcasts and articles, too.
How to Avoid a Climate Disaster by Bill Gates
- https://youtu.be/zrM1mcKmX_c (2 minute intro by Bill Gates)
- Bill Gates: The innovations we need to avoid a climate disaster | TED Talk
- Bill Gates: “How to Avoid a Climate Disaster” & Driving Innovation |The Daily Social Distancing Show
- Bill Gates Talks About How To Avoid A Climate Disaster | BookTube
- Bill Gates on How to Avoid a Climate Disaster | Amanpour and Company
A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety: How to Keep Your Cool on a Warming Planet by Sarah Jaquette Ray
- Sarah Jaquette Ray on “A Field Guide to Climate Anxiety: How to Keep Your Cool on a Warming Planet”
- Episode 1: A Field Guide to Climate Coronavirus Anxiety
- This Mortal Life: What’s Race Got to do With Climate Justice?
TED Talks – Climate Change Activism
- Al Gore, Gloria Kasang Bulus, Nana Firman, Ximena Loría and Tim Guinee: Climate change is our reality. Here’s how we’re taking action | TED Talk
- Xiye Bastida: If you adults won’t save the world, we will | TED Talk
- How do you solve a problem like the climate crisis? | TED Talks (19 Talks)
- Peggy Weil: Visualizing climate change through space and time | TED Talk
- Al Gore: New thinking on the climate crisis | TED Talk
- Climate change: Oh, it’s real. | TED Talks (17 Talks)