B.A.M. (Books, Articles, Movies) Talk!
Where friends new and old come together for an enjoyable night of energetic conversation.
Since June is Pride Month, BAM Talk! and At the Table Series on Human Sexuality Group will join forces. Pastor Karen will lead the session which will take place in person in Jillian’s Cafe. Everyone is asked to bring a potluck dish to share – apps or desserts are good options. Grazing will begin at 6:30PM and then the discussion will start at 7PM. There’s a possibility that you may also watch and discuss one of the videos together. Questions? Contact Pastor Karen: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ve got a varied set of resources you can research, read, watch or listen to for June. As we say in BAM – there’s no quiz – read or watch what you can but don’t miss out on the conversation!
June Resources to choose from:
- Reconciling Ministries Network– organization of UMC churches who hope and work for full inclusion: https://rmnetwork.org/
- Book- The Savvy Ally by Jeannie Ginsberg- This is a non-faith based book that teaches us how to be allies and support people.
- Book- God and the Gay Christian, by Matthew Vines- a classic book discussing homosexulaity and the Bible.
- Podcast- LGBTQ&A was created in 2016 in order to document modern LGBTQ+ history — to get beyond transition and coming out stories, to get to know each person, their accomplishments, their failures, and how they got to where they are today. https://www.lgbtqpodcast.com/about
- Video- This series is produced by the Reconciling Ministries Network and answers a lot of questions. Each of the 10 videos is only 3 minutes long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NEbsrCqksE&list=PLirW3GlVHv-N07QeF6eSzMtUHWIvePIYX&pp=iAQB
- Article:Supporting the Transgender people in your life https://transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/resources/Ally-Guide-July-2016_0.pdf
- Podcast:QUEERY explores individual stories of identity, personality and the shifting cultural matrix around gender, sexuality and civil rights: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/queery-with-cameron-esposito/id1268343859
- Building the church God intends – YouTube
- LGBTQ Youth Conversations
- Toolkit for caring for LGBTQ youth and their families- Reconciling Ministries of the UMC: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JbLgW5h1PzVSyGefBqlZIAeqUOpV0kTspkvcGQPow_E/edit#heading=h.w0ur6fv3324u
Articles on History of LGBTQ rights in US