175 Year Walk – Sunday, December 3rd at 9am
Group Photo at 9:30am (non-walkers welcome)
Join us to recreate the walk of 1908 – tracing the history of Conshy United Methodist Church!
|Marble & West Elm Streets
|Start the walk. Please meet here to start the walk. First-ever CUMC meeting place.
|W. 3rd & Fayette Streets
|Join us here if you want to walk the last portion.
|6th & Fayette Streets
|Finish the walk
|6th & Fayette Street
|Group photo – all are welcome
All are welcome, even if you did not participate in the walk. The Police will be stopping traffic for us to commemorate this occasion and take the photo
Join us on a walk from the original home of CUMC at Marble & West Elm, stopping at 3rd and Forrest (Temperance Building), where the congregation met until our 1st church was built at W. Elm and Fayette and finishing at 6th & Fayette. We will recreate the photo the congregation took when they dedicated the church on Jan. 19, 1908, after completing the same walk from the original location on West Elm to the new at 6th and Fayette.
Please contact Pat Patterson for questions. Patterson50@gmail.com
Additional Walk Details:
On Sunday morning, 12/3, we will trace the path of our congregation through Conshohocken from 1848-1908. The entire walk is .6 miles and should take about 15 minutes. Everyone is invited to participate in the entire walk or the last section of the walk.
Group Photo: To commemorate our 175th anniversary, everyone is invited to participate in the photo in the intersection of 6th and Fayette. You MUST be on the sidewalk outside the church by 9:30AM to participate in the photo and procession. this is a recreation of the photo the congregation took when they dedicated the church on Jan 19, 1908.
- The Conshy Police Department will stop traffic for the photo op.
- The confirmation class will hold the banner in front of the group and lead the procession into the church.
Anyone wishing to walk the entire route is asked to meet at 9AM at the intersection of Marble & W. Elm.
- (In 1848 the 1st meeting of our congregation took place under a tree at Marble & Forrest which intersect at W. Elm.)
- Today the NBOME (National Board of Osteopathic Examiners) building is at this intersection which is below Guppy’s and St Mary’s Church and above Washington Fire Company on W. Elm.
- From the NBOME building, we will walk on W. Elm towards Fayette. (The first church of Conshy United was on the corner of W. Elm and Fayette. ) We should arrive at NW Corner of W Elm and Fayette at 9:11.
- We will turn left at Fayette and walk-up Fayette on the west sidewalk towards W 3rd Ave and Fayette. This will take us 6 minutes and we should arrive there at 9:17AM
- We will turn left on W. 3rd Ave and walk to W. 3rd and Forrest St. (The Temperance Building stands at 3rd and Forrest. Our congregation met in the Temperance Building for many years before the 1st church was built at W Elm and Fayette.) It will take us 2 minutes to walk to 3rd and Forrest and back to Fayette.